Roseland Ceasefire has over 15 years of experience in delivering services to the far south Chicago and South Suburban Cook County. RCF has been instrumental in developing a Stop The Violence Campaign through safe and thriving communities. Our experience with restorative justice has been proven with our re-entry program, with for victims of trauma, group counseling with victims, perpetrators, and their families; bringing them together to discuss their feelings on how to heal the community after violent incidents.
The Safe Passage Worker operates as a part of a Neighborhood Safety Team that includes other safe passage workers, base operators, Case Managers, Outreach Workers and community engagement/safe spaces staff.
This is a grant funded position and this position is contingent on renewal of grant funds.
Description of Duties:
The Safe Passage Watcher is our eyes-on-the-street, acting as a deterrent to those who pose a risk or threaten the safety of students in transit to-and-from their place of education. Safe Passage Watchers are expected to be available whenever school is in session.
responsible for implementing best mediation practices into escalating incidents involving high-risk community members, with the goal of stopping initial and reprisal violence. Duties include leveraging the trust gained by the Outreach Worker to build intimate trust with high-risk people in the community to staying abreast of shootings, killings and all conflicts within the community. Duties include in-person interactions, in addition to inserting oneself into social media to track conversations, trends, hot spots, beefs, and events that might be problematic.
- Report to assigned school for both morning and afternoon shifts, at the direction of the safe passage supervisor
- Report to assigned post and safely observe surrounding areas for suspicious and/or harmful activities (people and environmental) and report such activities to the Base Operator and execute next step
- Document suspicious/harmful activity, when it is safe to do so
- Orally report observation of suspicious/harmful activity to base operator and/or safe passage supervisor when required
- Respond to periodic radio checks by base operator
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Experience with community-based services and organizations
- Experience developing and retaining relationships with others
- Experience with crisis intervention training or knowledge
- Ability to demonstrate critical thinking
- Experience producing management-level reports
- No pending criminal cases
- Ability to dress and adapt to the environment
- Ability to operate radio or mobile device
- Drug screening and background check is required prior to being hired
- Knowledge of Chicago and South Suburban Cook County and communities with histories of violence
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite
- Ability and commitment to maintain high level of confidentiality
- Ability to understand and follow safety/security practices and work in high pressure situations
- While performing the essential duties of this job, the employee is required to sit and stand for sustained periods of time, frequently talk, hear, use hands and fingers to feel, handle and operate objects or controls, and occasionally stand, bend, stretch, stoop, kneel and crouch.
- The employee is required to have close visual acuity to perform an activity such as preparing and analyzing data and figures, transcribing and viewing a computer monitor.
- The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
Incomplete applications will not be accepted.